LOS ANGELES & MILFORD, Conn.--()--Variety and 3D Entertainment SummitTM creators Unicomm and the Bob Dowling Group will be honoring James Cameron and Vincent Pace, ASC, with the 3D Visionary Award, to be presented during this year’s 3D Entertainment Summit, running Sept. 19-20 at the Hollywood and Highland Center in Los Angeles.
Cameron and Pace are co-chairmen and co-founders of CAMERON | PACE Group (CPG), the revolutionary 3D technology and production services company that enabled 3D for dozens of films such as Avatar and Hugo (the only two 3D films ever to win Oscars for cinematography), and hundreds of broadcasts, such as the Winter and Summer X Games and the Emmy-winning 2010 US Open Tennis Championships.
Pace will accept the award at the Summit on Sept. 20; Cameron, currently at work on the sequel to Avatar and other projects, will accept the award via a taped interview during the event, filmed in 3D.
The 3D Entertainment Summit, produced by Unicomm and The Bob Dowling Group in association with Variety, is proud to fete Cameron and Pace with the 3D Visionary Award. The Summit organizers are excited to recognize CAMERON | PACE Group’s dedication in taking 3D entertainment to new heights and in championing growth for the worldwide film industry.
The 3D Entertainment Summit is the largest worldwide conference and technology preview dedicated to the 3D marketplace. Since its inception, virtually all major companies with 3D business connections attend the Summit to hear thought leaders from around the globe analyze 3D in all platforms – theatrical, home entertainment, gaming, advertising, and alternative content.
The 3D Entertainment Summit will also look at emerging topics in 3D technology such as high-frame rate, laser light sources, glassless 3D sets and the validity of these promising technologies as solutions to current industry challenges. To register as an attendee, please visit http://www.3d-summit.com/.
The Summit will feature an all-star line-up of exclusive footage and content including extensive footage from the new Sony Pictures Animation film “Hotel Transylvania” directed by Genndy Tartakovsky and featuring the voices of Adam Sandler, Andy Samberg and Selena Gomez (release date September 28, 2012) with a special introduction from the film’s 3D Stereographic Lead Von Williams. Speakers include:
- Joe Letteri, Senior Visual Effects Producer, Weta Digital (The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Man of Steel, Rise of the Planet of the Apes)
- Bob Dowling, Co-Producer & Conference Chairperson, 3D Entertainment Summit
- Steve Barnett, Vice President, Post Production at 20th Century, Fox Feature Films
- Liu Yuan, Co-Chairman & President Of China Mainstream Media, National Film Capital
- Jim Chabin, President, International 3D Society
- David Passman, President & CEO, Carmike
- Von Williams, 3D Stereographic Lead, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Hotel Transylvania
- Marcus Gillezeau, Producer, Storm Surfers 3D
- Joseph Peixoto, President, Worldwide Cinema, RealD
- Chris Fenton, GM, North America& President, DMG Entertainment Motion Picture Group
- David Cohen, Associate Editor, Variety
- Greg Jacobs, Head of Distribution, Red Bull Media House North America
- Charlotte Jones, Principal Analyst, IHS Screen Digest
- Buzz Hays, Stereoscopic 3D Film & Television Producer and Consultant
- Marty Shindler, CEO, The Shindler Perspective
- Jonathan Dern, Co-Founder & President, Sabella Dern Entertainment
- Michele Martel, COO, Sabella Dern Entertainment
- Wayne Miller, Chief Creative Officer, Sabella Dern Entertainment
- Ted Kenney, Director of Production, 3ality Technica
- Pierre Routhier, Vice President, 3D Product Strategy & Business, Technicolor
- Mathu Rajan, CEO, Stream TV Networks
- Richard Ingrassia, Senior Research Analyst, Roth Capital Partners
- Stephen Palmer, Ph.D, Chief Science Officer, Volfoni
- James Stewart, Founder/Producer/Director, Geneva Film Company
- Richard Laberge, Executive Vice-President and Chief Marketing Officer, SENSIO Technologies
- Grant Anderson, Executive Director, Sony 3D Technology Center, Sony Corporation of America
- Roland Vlaicu, Sr. Director, Broadcast Video Ecosystems, Broadcast Business Unit, Dolby Labs, Inc.
- Torsten Hoffman, Founder, 3D Content Hub
- Walt Husak, Director of Image Technologies, Dolby Labs, Inc.
- Doug Triconi, President, Jump! 3D
- Matty Rich, CEO, Matty Rich Entertainment/Games
- Jason Goodman, CEO, 21st Century 3D
- Ken Venturi, Chief Creative Officer, EVP Media Interactive, NCM Media Networks
- Jon Karafin, Director of Production Operations, Digital Domain Stereo Group
- Peter Lude, Senior Vice President of Engineering for Sony Electronics professional business & President of SMPTE, Sony
- Chris Tribbey, Senior Reporter, Home Media Magazine
- Amy Steele, VP of Creative & Business Development, Threshold Animation Studios
- William Sherak, President, Stereo D
- Louie Schwartzberg, Award-Winning Cinematographer, Director & Producer
- Dan Diamond, Senior Vice President Business Development, NCM Fathom Events, National CineMedia (NCM)
- Stanley Preschutti, Chief Executive Officer, Blue Hemisphere 3D
- Bob Whitehill, Stereoscopic Supervisor, Pixar Animation Studios
- Josh Dickey, Film Editor, Variety
- Stephen Kovach, CFA, Co-founding Partner, Vine Alternative Investments
- Sharon Martin, Senior Vice President of Business Development, 3alityTechnica
Sponsors for the 3D Entertainment Summit® are Premier Sponsors RealD (Conference 3D Provider), Ultra D; Official Sponsor MasterImage 3D and Sony Digital Cinema 4K (Conference Projector Provider); Official Screen Sponsor is Strong/MDI Screens; Supporting Sponsors Dolby 3D; Sponsors Volfoni, Technicolor, SD Entertainment, Jump3D, Rogers & Cowan, Legend 3D and The Guitammer Company; Supporters are AMD, DDD, Doremi, VFxi, Zco, Digital Domain, Da Vinci 3D, Gadmei, Sensio, 21st Century 3D, City National Bank, Sony 3D Technology Center, Blue Hemisphere 3D, Pretend LLC and Light Iron. The 3D Entertainment SummitTM runs concurrent with the MultiScreen SummitTM, which examines the competitive marketplace between screens, devices, distributors and content creators, offering practical solutions to the media industry and to brands on how to engage with the connected, yet elusive consumer.
Unicomm LLC is an independent business-to-business communications company specializing in originating and managing world class trade shows and conferences in underserved and nascent markets. Founded in 1998 in Milford, CT, Unicomm enjoys an impressive track record of dozens of successful show launches and hundreds of event productions. Unicomm’s properties include the 3D Entertainment Summit™, the 3D Gaming Summit™ and the MultiScreen Summit™ all presented in association with Variety; the Travel & Adventure Show in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Dallas, Washington, D.C. Atlanta; the Faith Travel Conference & Exposition™ and Travel & Destination Summit™. For more information: www.unicomm.org.
The Bob Dowling Group
For 17 years through 2007, Bob Dowling was editor-in-chief and publisher of The Hollywood Reporter and president of the VNU Business Media Film and Performing Arts Group. During Dowling's tenure, The Reporter launched numerous new products, including the HollywoodReporter.com Web site, e-mail edition, weekly edition, THR East, Literary Hollywood, Festival de Cannes dailies and the Oscar Screening Guide, as well as many annual events such as the Women in Entertainment Power 100 stand-alone issue and its related breakfast event, the Next Generation ranking of prominent young executives, the Film and TV Music Conference and the reorganized Key Art Awards. Dowling recently started his own information and consulting firm, the Bob Dowling Group, to serve clients looking to navigate the converging worlds of entertainment and technology.
3D Entertainment Summit®
Now in its fifth year, the world’s leading business event on “everything 3D” is bigger and better than ever as it explores the 3D marketplace from all angles. With an expanded international focus and additional programming on broadcast, television and alternate content -- this will be the largest and most expansive event to date. The conference covers the biggest 3D drivers including: Theatrical; Creative; Sports; Games; International, Home Entertainment and Convergence.
Variety is the leading publication for business entertainment news, recognized and respected throughout the world of show business. The Variety Group – Daily Variety, Daily Variety Gotham, Weekly Variety and Variety.com – are all owned by Reed Business Information (RBI), the largest business publisher in the U.S. RBI is a member of the Reed Elsevier Group plc (NYSE: RUK and ENL).