ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--()--Sports Authority, one of the nation’s largest full-line sporting goods retailers, and the National Sports Center for the Disabled (NSCD) announced today that they raised more than $400,000 at the 11th Annual Sports Authority Hal O’Leary Golf Classic. All the proceeds will support the innovative programs that benefit the lives of children and adults with disabilities provided by the NSCD. The event was held on September 12 and 13th at the beautiful Sanctuary Golf Course in Sedalia, CO and brought together nearly 200 men and women of all abilities.
“We believe in celebrating the good in sports and the NSCD does a tremendous job of providing therapeutic sports and recreational program for people of any age and any ability. On behalf of Sports Authority, I would like to thank the vendors, participants and volunteers of this year’s event.”
“We truly believe in the mission of the NSCD and proud to sponsor the Sports Authority Hal O’Leary Classic to help raise awareness and funds for a great cause,” said Greg Waters, EVP Marketing & Merchandising of Sports Authority. “We believe in celebrating the good in sports and the NSCD does a tremendous job of providing therapeutic sports and recreational program for people of any age and any ability. On behalf of Sports Authority, I would like to thank the vendors, participants and volunteers of this year’s event.”
Each year more than 3,000 children and adults with disabilities participate in NSCD programs. The NSCD has more than 25 winter/summer sports and recreational programs. The organization currently receives only 15 percent of its revenues from participant fees. The remaining 85 percent comes from philanthropic gifts, events and sponsorships. Aside from the Hal O’Leary Golf Classic, Sports Authority donates snowboards, skis, binding, boots and poles for the winter NSCD program and has outfitted the staff and volunteers with uniforms.
“We are grateful to have Sports Authority’s support throughout the years, they have been a wonderful partner helping us raise awareness about our organization and providing financial support to the NSCD,” said Becky Zimmermann, president and CEO of NSCD. “We also want to thank all of those who participated in this tournament; their contributions will help the NSCD continue to provide opportunities and experiences that build self-confidence, physical fitness and foster independence for people living with disabilities.”
About Sports Authority
Sports Authority is one of the nation’s largest full-line sporting goods retailers, operating more than 470 stores in 45 states. Headquartered in Englewood, Colorado, Sports Authority employs more than 15,000 associates, including nearly 1,000 employees at its corporate offices. It also operates stores in Japan under a partnership with AEON Co., Ltd. The company’s products are also available via its e-commerce website at www.sportsauthority.com.
The National Sports Center for the Disabled (NSCD) began in 1970 as a one-time ski lesson for children with amputations for the Children's Hospital of Denver. Today, the NSCD is one of the largest outdoor therapeutic recreation agencies in the world. Each year, thousands of children and adults with disabilities take to the ski slopes, mountain trails and golf courses to learn more about sports - and themselves. With specially trained staff and its own adaptive equipment lab, the NSCD teaches a variety of winter and summer sports and activities to individuals with almost any physical, cognitive, emotional, or behavioral diagnosis. For more information about the National Sports Center for Disabled visit our website at http://nscd.org or like us on Facebook for updates about our programs and athletes.