PLANO, Texas--()--In its fourth consecutive year, the nationwide WALK! with Aegis Therapies wellness event will feature the participation of two Olympic Gold Medalists, Jessica Hardy and Steven Holcomb, and nationally recognized fitness expert, Chris Freytag, to champion a series of activities among our nation’s senior population.
“The event continues to grow each year and involves thousands of people from independent living facilities, assisted living facilities, continuing care retirement communities, and skilled nursing facilities.”
The five-day event, which begins on Monday, Sept. 24, will feature wellness activities in more than 670 locations where Aegis Therapies provides rehabilitation services. The WALK! with Aegis Therapies event is jointly presented by the EnerG™ by Aegis wellness program and the International Council on Active Aging® (ICAA) in support of ICAA’s annual Active Aging Week®.
“The WALK! with Aegis Therapies 2012 event, along with the participation of two Olympic Gold Medalists and Chris Freytag, demonstrates a collective commitment by people of all ages to care for our nation’s aging population, support community awareness, and reinforce the importance of being active at any age,” said Martha Schram, President of Aegis Therapies. “The event continues to grow each year and involves thousands of people from independent living facilities, assisted living facilities, continuing care retirement communities, and skilled nursing facilities.”
Each location organizes a series of 15- to 30-minute daily walking sessions and an event that supports one of the six dimensions of wellness: physical, intellectual, occupational, emotional, social, and spiritual. This award-winning program attracts senior patients, even centenarians, their families, facility staff, and community members with a week of scheduled events to celebrate health and wellness.
“In today’s world, older adults have longer life spans and can choose lifestyles that support better physical and mental health. Their wisdom and experience are needed by their communities and their own well-being is stimulated by choosing meaningful pursuits,” observes Colin Milner, CEO of International Council on Active Aging. “Active Aging Week is the annual event that reinforces the tremendous opportunities available to the aging population.”
Schedule of Events:
This year Aegis Therapies has enlisted the support of Jessica Hardy, 2012 London Olympic Gold Medalist Swimmer; Steven Holcomb, 2010 Vancouver Olympic Gold Medalist Bobsled Driver; and Chris Freytag, a nationally recognized health and wellness expert, to lead events in Fresno, Calif.; Doylestown, Pa.; Roseville, Minn.; and Bloomington, Minn.
- Monday, Sept. 24, 5 a.m. — Chris Freytag will host “Motivational Monday” on NBC Affiliate KARE 11 live from Golden LivingCenter - Lake Ridge in Roseville, Minn. Shortly after, Chris will give an opening pep talk and lead the walking activity from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Monday, Sept. 24, 1 - 3 p.m., Martin Luther Campus in Bloomington, Minn. — Chris Freytag will motivate participants and lead the walking activity.
- Tuesday, Sept. 25, 9:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., Golden LivingCenter - Doylestown, Pa. — Steven Holcomb will inspire and cheer on WALK! with Aegis Therapies participants during the daily walking and emotional wellness activities. He will start by giving an inspirational pep talk focusing on emotional wellness. Following the day’s events, he will award each participant with a gold medal in an Olympic-themed ceremony.
- Tuesday, Sept. 25, 11 a.m. - Noon, Golden LivingCenter - Doylestown, Pa. — Darin Leonardson, Golden Living Chef and Director of Hospitality and Dining, will hold a demonstration on making delicious antioxidant smoothies focused on nutritional wellness. The smoothies will be one of the refreshments served after the planned physical activities.
- Wednesday, Sept. 26 — Aegis Therapies is sponsoring the “Age of Champions” movie screening and keynote address at the opening of the LeadingAge™ Missouri 43rd Annual Conference & Exposition in Lake Ozark, Mo. “Age of Champions” is the award-winning documentary following five competitors who sprint, leap, and swim for gold at the National Senior Olympics.
- Thursday, Sept. 27 — Patients and residents of Golden LivingCenters and other healthcare facilities served by Aegis Therapies will participate in occupational wellness activities, including sharing stories about past careers, special skills or past work experience.
- Thursday, Sept. 27 — Brian Boekhout, National Director of Wellness at Aegis Therapies, will lead a wellness WALK! at the LeadingAge™ Missouri 43rd Annual Conference & Exposition from 7:30 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. He will then speak in a breakout session titled: “Wellness at Any Age and Stage: Balancing Care and Options” from 9:15 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. at the Lodge of Four Seasons in Lake Ozark, Mo.
- Friday, Sept. 28, 9:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., Golden LivingCenter - Hy-Lond in Fresno, Calif. — Jessica Hardy will inspire and cheer on WALK! with Aegis Therapies participants during the daily walking activity. Immediately following, she will award each participant a gold medal in an Olympic-themed ceremony.
- Friday, Sept. 28, 12 p.m. — Darin Leonardson, Golden Living Chef and Director of Hospitality and Dining, will give a “Food Matters” presentation to WALK! with Aegis Therapies participants at Golden LivingCenter - Hy-Lond.
- Friday, Sept. 28, 2:30 p.m., Calvary Chapel in Fresno, Calif. — Viewing of “Age of Champions” movie.
- Friday, Sept. 28 — Brian Boekhout will lead a yoga class on Friday at the LeadingAge™ Missouri 43rd Annual Conference & Exposition.
About the Celebrity Talent
Chris Freytag holds the titles of certified group fitness instructor, personal trainer, weight management coach, published author, and speaker. Her high energy and dynamic personality led to national media appearances in “Success” magazine, on “The Today Show,” and as a regular healthy lifestyle guest on QVC.
Jessica Hardy fulfilled her lifelong dream of competing at the 2012 Olympic Games in London where she won her first Olympic medal, a bronze, in the 4x100 freestyle relay. Swimming the second leg, Jessica helped the team finish with an American record. She also earned a gold medal by swimming for the winning U.S. team in the preliminary heats of the 4x100 medley relay.
Steven Holcomb is a bobsled driver who competed in the 2006 and 2010 Olympics and won a gold medal at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver with his four-man team, ending a 62-year gold medal drought in U.S. Olympic four-man bobsled competition. Holcomb began the sport of bobsled as a push athlete in 1998. Holcomb won three World Championships in the two-man, four-man, and team competitions in Lake Placid, N.Y. in February 2012.
About Aegis Therapies (www.aegistherapies.com)
Aegis Therapies is one of the largest and most successful contract rehabilitation companies in the country, with operations at more than 1,000 locations in 40 states and the District of Columbia, and more than 7,000 employees. Aegis specializes in therapy that is needed by nursing home, assisted living, or home-bound patients with medically complex conditions. Aegis programs are structured around an older-adult Model of Care, and include Freedom Through Functionality, a strength-training program featuring specially modified Nautilus equipment. Aegis has invested in the infrastructure, employee support, and training to effectively measure and quantify therapy impact. The focus on positive, measurable outcomes and clinical excellence helps older patients achieve more independence through physical, occupational, and speech therapy.
About Active Aging Week® (www.icaa.cc/aaw.htm)
Active Aging Week is an annual event held the last full week of September (prior to October 1, International Day of Older Persons). The week was initiated by the International Council of Active Aging to give as many older adults as possible the means to experience activities and exercise in a safe, friendly, and fun atmosphere. During the week, host organizations provide a variety of free activities, such as classes, educational seminars, access to fitness facilities, health fairs, and community walks.
About the International Council on Active Aging® (ICAA) (www.icaa.cc)
ICAA, a professional association that leads, connects, and defines the active-aging industry. ICAA supports professionals who develop wellness facilities, programs, and services for adults over 50. The association is focused on active aging — an approach to aging that helps older adults live life as fully as possible within all dimensions of wellness — and provides its members with education, information, resources, and tools.