PARIS--()--Cellectis (Paris:ALCLS) (Alternext: ALCLS), the French genome engineering specialist, considers the award of the Nobel Prize fin Medicine to Professor Shinya Yamanaka as the validation of its stem cell strategy and is a major growth driver for this activity.
Since 2010 Cellectis started collaborating with Professor Shinya Yamanaka at the Center for iPS Cell Research and Application (CiRA) at Kyoto, Japan, working together on genome engineering of induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells.
Since then, Cellectis has successively:
- taken licenses on founding patents from Shinya Yamanaka’s works;
- developed an on-going scientific collaboration with Prof. Yamanaka's team at CiRA with an exchange of technologies for genome engineering developed by Cellectis and iPS technologies of CiRA), and with other centers of excellence, including I-Stem;
- structured the Business Unit Cellectis stem cells with the creation of a subsidiary located in Evry’s Genopole with the Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations, and the acquisition of stem cell historical leader in Europe.
Cellectis already sells cellular models for research and drug development within pharmaceutical industry, implementing technologies developed by CiRA. In addition, Cellectis is currently working on a number of develops large-scale projects based on iPS cell technology with two aims:
- personalized medicine (or "custom medicine") to orient new drugs to patients who can benefit from them,
- regenerative medicine, making an iPS bank for clinic research, strategic resource for the entire industry of cell therapy.
André Choulika, CEO of Cellectis, declares: "the quality of relations between the teams of CiRA and Cellectis Group - based on mutual respect of their scientific expertise on the one hand, the recognition of the strong complementarity of their knowledge on the other - involved the establishment of a real alliance able to compete with the American presence in the area."
Cellectis plans to expand and deepen this collaboration with Prof. Yamanaka in order to strengthen its position as an industry leader, increase its activity remaining at the forefront of iPS cell technology, and develop industry standards in regenerative medicine.
Founded in France in 1999, the Cellectis Group is based on a highly specific DNA engineering technology. Its application sectors are human health, agriculture and bio-energies. Co-created by André Choulika, its Chief Executive Officer, Cellectis is today one of the world leading companies in the field of genome engineering. The Group has a workforce of 230 employees working on 5 sites worldwide: Paris & Evry in France, Gothenburg in Sweden, St Paul (Minnesota) & Cambridge (Massachusetts) in the United States. Cellectis achieved in 2011 €16M revenues and has signed more than 80 industrial agreements with pharmaceutical laboratories, agrochemical and biotechnology companies since its inception. AFM, Dupont, BASF, Bayer, Total, Limagrain, Novo Nordisk… are some of the Group’s clients and partners.
Since 2007, Cellectis has been listed on NYSE-Euronext Alternext market (code: ALCLS) in Paris.
For more information, visit our website: www.cellectis.com.
This press release and the information contained herein do not constitute an offer to sell or subscribe, or a solicitation of an offer to buy or subscribe, for shares in Cellectis in any country. This press release contains forward-looking statements that relate to the Company’s objectives based on the current expectations and assumptions of the Company’s management only and involve risk and uncertainties that could cause the Company to fail to achieve the objectives expressed by the forward-looking statements above.