BARCELONA, Spain--()----VMworld--Pivot3, a leading provider of converged storage and compute appliances, today announced its next generation vSTAC VDI R2 appliance optimized for VMware View® Storage Accelerator. With over four times more RAM, and 10 times more capacity, the vSTAC VDI R2 appliance can save customers up to 45% per desktop over the previous R1 generation.
“With the release of the vSTAC VDI R2, there can be no doubt that Pivot3 has dispelled the myth that VDI cannot compete for cost with conventional desktop PCs”
“With the release of the vSTAC VDI R2, there can be no doubt that Pivot3 has dispelled the myth that VDI cannot compete for cost with conventional desktop PCs,” commented Simon Bramfitt, founder and principle analyst at Entelechy Associates. “Pivot3 has delivered what was once considered impossible, a scalable high-performance VDI appliance that is equally at home in the data center or the branch office, that can deliver a virtual desktop for less than the cost of a PC.”
Purpose built to exploit View Storage Accelerator, the vSTAC VDI R2 appliance allows for the reduction of expensive read caching hardware, while increasing performance by 10X. Tested and certified for VMware View™ 5.1 and VMware vSphere® 5.1, additional features of the purpose-built vSTAC VDI R2 appliance include:
- Two next-generation Intel® Xeon® E5-2630 processors with six cores each, enabling super-fast processing for compute-intensive tasks and driving desktop count up to 125 per appliance, a 15% increase over the previous generation;
- Selectable network speed configurability introducing a high-performance solution for one gigabit Ethernet environments, while also supporting enterprises with 10GE selectable RAM 128/256/384 permitting maximum configurability for demanding 64 bit desktop workloads;
- Selectable SATA storage capacity of 12/24/36TB facilitating user data to be stored in the same array with an optional NAS interface. This additional capacity allows full uncompressed branch office desktops to be deployed using the latest VMware Mirage technology;
- Designed, tested and certified for PCI-e graphics cards such as Teradici, the vSTAC VDI R2 can be configured to support the most demanding video workloads;
- A pre-packaged and configured P Cubed starter appliance that is certified as part of the VMware Rapid Desktop Program.
“We are pleased to see Pivot3 release its next generation vSTAC VDI R2 appliance, which is optimized for VMware View® Storage Accelerator,” said Mason Uyeda, director, end-user computing technical marketing, VMware. “Following our jointly published reference architectures for the Mobile Secure Desktop and Branch Office Desktop solutions, this next generation appliance, paired with VMware technology can provide a powerful VDI solution for customers.”
“The Pivot3 vSTAC VDI R2 delivers a significant breakthrough in terms of performance, simplicity of deployment and customer value,” said Jesper Trolle, vice president of sales at Arrow ECS EMEA. “We see Pivot3 as the clear leader in “View-in-a-box” appliances that can scale from small to enterprise-class deployments. This next generation appliance further increases that lead, and we are sure that our partners and customers will be delighted with this next generation product.”
“Using the VMware View® Virtual Storage Accelerator technology has allowed us to reduce the hardware cost and complexity of our VDI solution while increasing performance,” said Lee Caswell, founder and chief strategy officer at Pivot3. “Our vSTAC VDI R2 appliance continues to provide substantial enterprise-class value, performance and availability against both appliances and discrete physical server and storage products.”
Pivot3’s latest vSTAC VDI R2 appliance will be available to order in November 2012. List pricing starts at $29,999. For more information, visit www.pivot3.com.
For a test-drive of the Pivot3 vSTAC VDI Mobile Secure Desktop solution, visit http://pivot3.com/test-drive/ where you can test drive the Pivot3 vSTAC VDI MSD solution that includes all of the latest VMware technology including; View, vCOPs, vShield as well as Trend Micro’s Deep Security.
Find the latest news and information about Pivot3 vSTAC™ VDI and P Cubed online:
- Desktop virtualization whitepaper
- Product information
- VMware Reference Architecture
- Test Drive Pivot3
- Pivot3 VDI Configurator
- VMware View POC Solutions
- VMware Rapid Desktop Program Support
Pivot3 was founded in 2003 on the idea that today's stack of servers, storage and networks could be radically simplified and unified to drive down complexity and cost. Today Pivot3 has over 600 customers with over 7,000 Pivot3 vSTAC™ appliances deployed across the globe. Pivot3 products are purpose-built and deployed in the data protection, digital surveillance and rich media markets and have seen particular success in the public sector, transportation, education and retail vertical segments. The company has won numerous awards and was most recently selected by the Wall Street Journal for the prestigious "2011 Next Big Thing" category. To learn more about Pivot3, visit www.pivot3.com.
VMware, VMware Mirage, VMware vSphere and VMware View are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. The use of the word “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.