BURLINGTON, Mass.--(Veracode, Inc., the leader in cloud-based application security testing, is delivering new application security content during the ninth annual National Cyber Security Awareness Month sponsored by the Department of Homeland Security in cooperation with the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) and the Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center (MS-ISAC). As part of the company’s commitment to securing the world’s software, Veracode is supporting cyber security awareness with webinars, infographics, and tips and best practices for securing data across the software supply chain – from the developer down to the workforce and their personal mobile devices.)--
“National Cyber Security Awareness Month provides us with a unique point in time to continue educating the public on how they can keep themselves protected against cyber attacks all year long, providing them with the tips and resources necessary to develop a comprehensive application security program.”
Today, enterprises and governments around the world recognize the most serious threats to their economic prosperity come from cyber security breaches. Underscoring the importance of cyber security, President Obama designated October as National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) with the hopes of engaging and educating both the public and private sectors about how both parties can better equip the nation to manage and survive a cyber attack.
Enterprises have done a fairly good job of protecting the network layer and end points of the cyber security surface; however, the application layer remains especially vulnerable to cyber security risks. Throughout October, Veracode is contributing the following to NCSAM:
“Back to Security Basics” Webinars –
- Mitigating Risk from Vendor Supplied Software: Guest speaker, Chenxi Wang, Vice President & Principal Analyst, Forrester Research, Inc., outlines how enterprises can better understand and reduce security risks associated with the use of vendor-supplied software.
- Application Security Fundamentals: Veracode CTO Chris Wysolpal discusses the basics of the application security risks that organizations face today, the methods and countermeasures to protect apps from a breach and the frameworks that can be used to integrate application security policy into overall infosec practice.
Mobile Security Education for the Workforce
- To help employees understand the growing security risks of using insecure mobile applications while at work, Veracode has created a new infographic on mobile security and a mobile security awareness eBook to help security organizations train their workforce on the risks posed by the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) trend.
Primer on Cybersecurity
- Just in time for the election Veracode has issued a new infographic outlying the respective policies of both presidential candidates on the topic of cyber security. This is the ultimate presidential primer on where the candidates stand on the Cyber Security Act, SOPA, and CISPA/PIPA.
- Appsec Toolkits, Tips and best practices for everyone – The Veracode Blog will feature posts and infographics throughout the month on securing the software supply chain – from the developer to employees bringing their own devices into the enterprise. Enterprises and application developers alike can find valuable information in the Veracode Resource center, and throughout the site including a Secure Software Supply Chain Toolkit to improve the security integrity of enterprise software supply chains.
“It is imperative for enterprises to have an in-depth cyber security strategy and plan in place at not just the network perimeter but also the application layer,” said Chris Wysopal, CISO, CTO and co-founder of Veracode. “National Cyber Security Awareness Month provides us with a unique point in time to continue educating the public on how they can keep themselves protected against cyber attacks all year long, providing them with the tips and resources necessary to develop a comprehensive application security program.”
Through a series of events and initiatives across the country, NCSAM will engage the public and private sectors on different cyber security issues each week in October. For more information on NCSAM, visit http://www.dhs.gov/national-cyber-security-awareness-month.
Veracode is the only independent provider of cloud-based application intelligence and security verification services. The Veracode platform provides the fastest, most comprehensive solution to improve the security of internally developed, purchased or outsourced software applications and third-party components. By combining patented static, dynamic and manual testing, extensive eLearning capabilities, and advanced application analytics, Veracode enables scalable, policy-driven application risk management programs that help identify and eradicate numerous vulnerabilities by leveraging best-in-class technologies from vulnerability scanning to penetration testing and static code analysis. Veracode delivers unbiased proof of application security to stakeholders across the software supply chain while supporting independent audit and compliance requirements for all applications no matter how they are deployed, via the web, mobile or in the cloud. Veracode works with customers in more than 80 countries worldwide representing Global 2000 brands. For more information, visit www.veracode.com, follow on Twitter: @Veracode or read the Veracode Blog.