AMSTERDAM--(TomTom today launches its new Location Based Services (LBS) Platform and Developer Portal. TomTom LBS provides developers with the content and tools to rapidly create location-enabled applications for a variety of commercial and consumer markets. Example apps that can be created include fleet management, route planning, traffic management and geospatial analysis.)--
“In response to the increasing demand for top quality data and services, TomTom is offering a comprehensive, easy to use solution for adding location intelligence to applications”
The cloud-based LBS Platform enables businesses to access TomTom’s high quality location and navigation services including map display, routing, traffic and geocoding. In addition, the TomTom Developer Portal gives developers easy to use tools to build web and mobile apps using simple application programming interfaces (APIs) and Software Developer Kits (SDKs), with all supporting documentation.
“In response to the increasing demand for top quality data and services, TomTom is offering a comprehensive, easy to use solution for adding location intelligence to applications,” said Dan Adams, vice president of Location and Live Services at TomTom. “The launch of the TomTom LBS Platform is an important evolution. Now we can provide application developers with web-based access to high-quality location content worldwide.”
Notes to Editors
The TomTom LBS Platform and Developer Portal will grow in capabilities over time and currently includes the following content and services:
Map Toolkit API providing access to:
- Map display web service, which delivers WMS-style raster maps based on TomTom’s flagship MultiNet map database. Tiles are pre-rendered at 18 zoom levels, ranging from a single global tile to 305x305 meter detailed map images.
- Geocoding web service, enabling both free text forward geocoding (find a location by entering an unstructured address, place or POI) and reverse geocoding (identify a location from a pair of latitude and longitude coordinates).
- Routing web service, which provides highly accurate point to point routing and route re-calculation using TomTom’s best-in-class algorithms.
- Traffic web service, using TomTom’s award winning HD Traffic to deliver real-time traffic incident and delay information.
- Cloud-based performance and scalability, giving developers around the world 24x7 access to TomTom’s content and services.
- Management tools that make it easy for developers to track usage.
The LBS Platform and Developer Portal, including a free evaluation API key, can be accessed via developer.tomtom.com. To learn more about TomTom’s data products and services including MultiNet and HD Traffic, visit tomtom.com/en_gb/licensing.
Founded in 1991, TomTom (AEX: TOM2) is a leading provider of navigation and location-based products and services.
TomTom maps, traffic information and navigation technology power automotive in-dash systems, mobile devices, web based applications and government and business solutions.
TomTom also designs and manufactures its own location-based products including portable navigation devices and fleet management solutions, as well as GPS-enabled sports watches.
Headquartered in Amsterdam, TomTom has 3,500 employees worldwide and sells its products in over 35 countries.
For further information, please visit www.tomtom.com