BOSTON--(2013 Mobility Predictions: Time To Place Your Bets,” Yankee Group looks ahead to 2013 and sees smart players beginning to take calculated risks and position themselves for long-term success. Next year will mark the arrival of several trends that until now had been only anticipated. Yankee Group analysts recently expanded on the predictions in the accompanying webinar, “2013 Predictions: Mobility at a Crossroad.”)--In the new report “
“As the year draws to a close, there are indications that the mobility dust is beginning to settle”
“As the year draws to a close, there are indications that the mobility dust is beginning to settle,” said Declan Lonergan, Yankee Group VP of research and co-author of the report. “Most regions (Europe is a notable exception) are showing signs of a firmer economic recovery. North America’s M&A frenzy seems to be played out for now, and virtually all players know the hand they’ve been dealt. Thus, we see 2013 as the year when they must leverage that knowledge and place their mobility bets for the long term.”
Yankee Group’s 2013 mobility predictions are:
1. Operators will lose U.S.$1 billion per month in voice/messaging
2. All mobile operators will be either digital lifestyle providers or value bit providers.
3. Small cells will stumble.
4. At least one operator will launch a turbo-boosting service.
5. Google will start subsidizing mobile payments credit/debit card transaction fees.
6. A cloud-based mobile payment system will see a significant data breach.
7. More than 50 percent of companies will look to the cloud for their mobile app deployments.
8. Microsoft’s Windows Store will abandon the 70-30 split and registration fees.
9. Android smartphone market share will decline in the U.S.
10. MVNOs will feel the squeeze as operators get serious about M2M.
About Yankee Group
Yankee Group is the preeminent research and advisory firm equipping companies to profit in a mobile world. The core of our content is proprietary research and analytics on the attitudes, behaviors and usage patterns of mobile users. We provide a range of actionable data, insights and advice to marketing, strategy and product executives driving the mobility revolution in leading companies worldwide. Visit www.yankeegroup.com.