MCLEAN, Va.--()--Whether you’re away for business or pleasure, don’t let traveling be an excuse to break your healthy New Year’s resolutions. Check out these tips from Jodi Sullivan, Hilton Worldwide’s senior director of global fitness, to help maintain your health wherever your travels may take you.
- Eat five to six small meals a day. Try to eat five to six small meals per day. This will keep your metabolism running all day long and prevent blood sugar spikes which lead to excess fat storage. Incorporate plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables into your meals and try to avoid high calorie, high fat food.
- Plan exercise in advance. Schedule your workout like you would a business meeting. Determine the day and time you plan to visit the gym and log it into your itinerary. Keep in mind the majority of our fitness centers offer 24-hour access.
- Set realistic goals. Achievable fitness goals are critical and give you the encouragement to stick with it when you start seeing results.
- Get up and stretch. Sitting all day is hazardous to your health; plain and simple. Take a few minutes every hour or so on flights to stretch and improve circulation while combating fatigue. Step away from your desk for ten minutes every hour to stretch your back and legs. Take a quick walk while returning phone messages and checking your emails between meetings.
- Mix up your workouts. Repeating the same workout every day can become mundane and methodical. Our state-of-the-art fitness centers have everything you need to break your typical routines. Or, if exercising outdoors motivates you, take a long walk and explore your travel destination.
- Pack your sneakers first. Packing your workout gear first will ensure it makes it into your bag. Consider packing lightweight workout clothes to help reduce overall luggage weight.
- Stay hydrated. Traveling can be dehydrating. Drink six to eight glasses of water a day to flush toxins and remain alert.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Try to keep your waking and sleeping hours as close to your regular schedule as possible. Sleep is as important as exercise and eating healthy. Make sure you’re getting at least six to eight hours of sleep every night.
- Pamper yourself. Book a massage or spa treatment at one of our eforea spas to help alleviate stress and rid your body of toxins.
Watch this video for more from Jodi on ways to stay fit on the road: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2ePcqT9iKSs.
Hilton Worldwide has over 2,500 fitness centers in operation at properties worldwide, and is continuously upgrading and assessing all fitness centers to ensure they meet the needs of the frequent traveler.
Hilton Worldwide tested state-of-the-art equipment in addition to a variety of design options, activity snacks and amenities in its McLean, Va. headquarters. Results led to new solutions that are being featured throughout Hilton Worldwide’s portfolio, varying by brand and location.
Hilton Worldwide hotels will feature the latest in fitness equipment, including touch screen consoles, iPod compatibility, ePub readers, pre-loaded sample exercises, Internet connectivity, integrated television and personal TV screens with nearly 40 channels to choose from.
Take a look at a quick snapshot of some of Hilton Worldwide’s top fitness centers globally.
About Hilton Worldwide
Hilton Worldwide is a leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For 93 years, Hilton Worldwide has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. The company is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Its brands are comprised of more than 3,900 hotels and timeshare properties, with 650,000 rooms in 90 countries and territories and include Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, DoubleTree by Hilton, Embassy Suites Hotels, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Hotels, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Home2 Suites by Hilton and Hilton Grand Vacations. The company also manages the world-class guest reward program Hilton HHonors®. Visit www.hiltonworldwide.com for more information and connect with Hilton Worldwide at www.facebook.com/hiltonworldwide, www.twitter.com/hiltonworldwide, www.youtube.com/hiltonworldwide, www.flickr.com/hiltonworldwide and www.linkedin.com/company/hilton-worldwide.