MASON, Ohio--()--Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield today announced the winners of the Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Get Active, Get Fit School Challenge hosted by Radio Disney.
“Anthem in Ohio created the Get Active, Get Fit School Challenge with Radio Disney in 2009, and seeing the impact over the years has been phenomenal”
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 17 percent (or 12.5 million) of children and adolescents aged 2-19 are obese. Since 1980, obesity prevalence among children and adolescents has nearly tripled. To help mitigate this alarming trend, which significantly increases children’s probability of developing serious health problems, in partnership with Radio Disney, Anthem designed the Get Active, Get Fit School Challenge to motivate kids and families to achieve fitness together by engaging in fun activities daily.
To successfully complete the Challenge, students had to be active via any activity of their choice at least 20 minutes a day for a minimum of 40 of the 55 days during the Oct. 1-Nov. 24, 2012, contest period.
The 20 Ohio schools with the highest percentage of participation have won a live dance party at their school hosted by Radio Disney AM 1260. And five schools that completed the Challenge were awarded gym equipment packages valued at $500 each through a random drawing.
“Anthem in Ohio created the Get Active, Get Fit School Challenge with Radio Disney in 2009, and seeing the impact over the years has been phenomenal,” said Erin Hoeflinger, President of Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Ohio. “I am passionate about being a positive influence on kids’ health, and this program has met both my personal and professional expectations.”
In 2012, the event’s fourth year in Ohio, the challenge was completed by more than nearly 70,000 children at 188 Ohio elementary schools. Nearly 384,000 students nationwide signed up to participate in this year’s Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Get Active, Get Fit School Challenge in Colorado, Georgia, Maine, New Hampshire, Ohio, Upstate New York, Virginia and Wisconsin.
Congratulations to the winning Ohio schools:
Winners of live dance parties hosted by Radio Disney at their school in February/March:
- Dover Elementary in Westlake
- Erwine Intermediate School in Akron
- Forest School in North Olmsted
- Gardiner Early Learning Center in Chagrin Falls
- Imagine Madison Avenue School of Arts in Toledo
- John Sherman Elementary in Mansfield
- Mentor Ridge Middle School in Mentor
- Oak Intermediate School in New Boston
- Old Fort Elementary School in Old Fort
- Poland Union Elementary School in Poland
- St. Columbkille School in Parma
- St. Ignatius School in Cincinnati
- St. Joseph School in Amherst
- St. Mary School in Cincinnati
- St. Mary School in Vermilion
- St. Thomas More in Cincinnati
- St. Vincent De Paul School in Cleveland
- Stockyard Community Elementary School in Cleveland
- Timmons Elementary in Chagrin Falls
- Youngstown Community School in Youngstown
Winners of $500 Gym equipment packages:
- The Academy Minds in Motion in Springboro
- Dorr Elementary in Toledo
- The Knight Academy in Toledo
- Norton Cornerstone Elementary in Norton
- Watterson Lake School in Cleveland
About Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Ohio
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield is the trade name of Community Insurance Company, an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. ®ANTHEM is a registered trademark of Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc. The Blue Cross and Blue Shield names and symbols are registered marks of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Additional information about Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Ohio is available at www.anthem.com. Also, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/healthjoinin, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HealthJoinIn, or visit our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/healthjoinin.
About Radio Disney
Radio Disney is the #1, 24-hour radio network devoted to kids, tweens and families. Kids help pick the music that is played and are encouraged to interact via a toll-free phone line to the Radio Disney studio. The network's current playlist, driven by listener requests and representing major record labels, includes recording artists Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, One Direction, Katy Perry, Cody Simpson, Carly Rae Jepsen and Cher Lloyd. The network is available on 31 owned terrestrial radio stations and is also available via RadioDisney.com, Sirius XM satellite radio on channel 79, iTunes Radio Tuner, mobile phones, the Radio Disney iPhone and Android Apps, and the Radio Disney Facebook page.