SAN ANTONIO--(Federal Reserve. USAA’s highly mobile members exemplify the trend with more than 5.2 million USAA app downloads for iPhone®, Android™ and iPad® at the end of 2012 compared to 3.3 million at the end of 2011. Furthermore, the business has seen a 190 percent increase in the number of times members accessed their accounts using their iPad app.)--One out of every five Americans used their mobile phone to access a financial account in the last year, according to the
“In addition to basic transactions such as paying bills or transferring funds, USAA members can do everything from using accident animation to assisting with the claims reporting process to quoting and buying life insurance.”
“We’ve expanded our mobile tools to allow our members to manage the full range of their financial life anywhere, anytime,” said Neff Hudson, Assistant Vice President of Emerging Channels. “In addition to basic transactions such as paying bills or transferring funds, USAA members can do everything from using accident animation to assisting with the claims reporting process to quoting and buying life insurance.”
By the Numbers: USAA Mobile Highlights
- USAA’s mobile app is the No.1 app in the insurance category according to Key Lime Interactive.
- Qualified USAA members made 13.3 million deposits via Deposit@Mobile totaling $7.4 billion in 2012; both up more than 70 percent over 2011. Since inception in 2009, more than 24.6 million deposits have been made totaling $13.8 billion.
- Animate accident launched on iPad in November 2012 enabling members to explain and add narration of their accident using animation and voice capture technology during the claims process.
- Industry firsts – the ability to apply for life insurance and open a new deposit account became available via mobile in December 2012. Other products now available through mobile include auto insurance, auto loans, renters insurance, valuable personal property insurance, and credit cards.
- New Investment Center capabilities launched in mid-August giving members the ability to trade stocks/ETFs, mutual funds, and purchase USAA CDs all on mobile. After inception, the average quotes increased from 3,000 to 80,000 per week, and nearly 23,000 new watchlists were created.
“This year we’ll continue to roll out new mobile tools to make our members’ lives easier,” said Hudson. “Deposit@Mobile 3.0, already launched on iPad and coming soon to iPhone and Android, allows members to use imaging capabilities to deposit up to 10 checks into multiple accounts at one time. In addition, our new Virtual Mobile Assistant is set to launch in early spring.”
To learn more about USAA’s mobile tools, visit www.usaa.com/mobile or text “mobile” to MyUSAA for direct access via your mobile device.
USAA provides insurance, banking, investment and retirement products and services to 9.4 million members of the U.S. military and their families. Known for its legendary commitment to its members, USAA is consistently recognized for outstanding service, employee well-being and financial strength. USAA membership is open to all who are serving or have honorably served our nation in the U.S. military – and their eligible family members. For more information about USAA, or to learn more about membership, visit usaa.com.