WASHINGTON--(WPRC will come to Washington March 14th to build awareness for the critical part of the U.S. industrial base that manufactures warfighter equipment, such as operational clothing, body armor, and night vision devices and advocate for the improvements needed to government procurement practices used for these product categories so innovation programs and production capability can be maintained to support warfighter readiness. Reforms being recommended by the WPRC include:)--For the third consecutive year, member company representatives of the
- Adhere to “Best Value” contracting that allows trade-offs between price and performance for critical warfighter equipment. This practice will encourage innovation and preserve the industrial base.
- Increase visibility of warfighter equipment funding in Department of Defense (DOD) budgets by increasing the number of procurement line items to sustain industry’s innovation investments.
- Maintain "unit level funding" to allow warfighter choice when sourcing mission-specific equipment.
- Develop life cycle management acquisition policies to facilitate “modernization through sustainment.”
- Streamline the process for developing new requirements to speed the fielding of new technologies.
"Sequestration will do irreparable harm to our industry and cost the economy vital manufacturing jobs, but by pursuing reforms to the way operational clothing and equipment is purchased, the Congress and Defense Department can save the modernization and manufacturing capabilities developed in this unique industry sector to support individual and small unit centric operations," said Craig Heilman, Executive Director of the WPRC. "We are advocating for warfighter equipment acquisition reform to ensure U.S. warfighters never again enter conflict under-equipped against the threat. The investments required to continue modernizing in this sector are small given their impact on readiness, effectiveness, and morale of our combat forces. This can be done while also finding ways to reduce costs."
About the Warrior Protection and Readiness Coalition (WPRC)
The WPRC is warfighter equipment industry leading manufacturers and service providers advocating for the individual and unit level equipment and clothing needs of the U.S. military. WPRC companies are a critical component of America’s industrial base that supports warfighter readiness. Coalition initiatives inform and develop policies and programs that ensure U.S. service members have superior gear now and in the future. WPRC members.