EMERYVILLE, Calif.--(KineMed (www.kinemed.com) announced today that Dr. Patrizia Fanara, Vice President, Neuroscience at KineMed, Inc., will present recent progress in the development of clinically relevant biomarkers of neurodegeneration in a talk entitled “Applications of Kinetic Biomarkers to Diagnose and Treat Neurological Disorders” at the 2nd Neurological Biomarkers Conference, taking place March 20-22 at the Hilton San Francisco Financial District, in San Francisco, California.)--
“Applications of Kinetic Biomarkers to Diagnose and Treat Neurological Disorders”
Dr. Fanara will showcase scientific advancements made at KineMed in the development of biomarkers that reveal underlying pathogenic processes and the effects of disease-modifying therapies on conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease and other neurological disorders.
“These unique biomarkers track brain function at the level of neurons and neuronal sub-populations, linking changes in brain cells to clinical symptoms and disease progression,” said Dr. Fanara. “Our platform enables us to predict and monitor brain cell degeneration or regeneration, overcoming the limitations of earlier technologies that only offered snapshots of changes in diseases. These kinetic markers are translational and may also be utilized as companion diagnostics for disease-modifying therapies.”
About KineMed, Inc.
KineMed, Inc. is a leading diagnostic biomarker discovery and drug development company focused on causal pathway discovery and the pairing of medicines with diagnostics for integrated disease management. KineMed works with collaborators and clients to develop biomarkers that provide predictive, actionable information to dramatically improve de-risk and accelerate drug discovery, development and disease management decisions. KineMed’s technology reveals dynamic causal processes of disease rather than isolated molecular targets and provides precise measures of therapeutic effectiveness on these processes, offering “yes/no” to key treatment questions: “Is this drug right for the patient?” and “Is the drug working?”
KineMed’s biomarkers are fully translational from animal to man, seamlessly harmonizing data across pre-clinical and clinical phases of development, through to the diagnosis and management of diseases including fibrotic, neurodegenerative, metabolic, cardiovascular disease, and cancer.
KineMed’s platform addresses key industry needs:
- Illuminating causal mechanisms of disease: Generating pivotal knowledge for developing novel therapeutics that target underlying biochemical causes rather than symptoms
- Systems biology approach: Insight into intact living systems, rather than simplified models, ensures that drug effects are understood in their intended biological context
- Reduce late-stage attrition: Early, decision-relevant metrics of drug activity to remove costly failures late in the development cycle and improve the overall ROI of R&D spend
- Establish patient pre-selection criteria: Enabling more tightly focused patient selection for clinical trials to target increased response rate in a segmented population
- Provide the link to pair medicines with diagnostics: Custom-developed assays create companion diagnostic tests for personalized medicine
In addition to assisting clients, KineMed also has an active pipeline of therapeutics and diagnostics in development and is seeking further broad collaborations with biotechnology, pharmaceutical, CRO, histopathology, diagnostics, and medical instrument partners.
For more information about KineMed, please visit: http://www.kinemed.com
About the 2nd Neurological Biomarkers Conference:
Presenters and attendees at the 2nd Neurological Biomarkers Conference will discuss a wide range of issues in the biomarker field related to neuroscience. Topics of this conference include updates on biomarkers in Alzheimer’s disease, CSF and blood-based biomarkers and imaging biomarkers.